Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days & 3 Nights
Day 01: Soraypampa Chaullay.
Latin America is recognized worldwide for the natural beauties that are hidden in countries like Peru.
Here an unrivaled adventure destination is Cusco, which keeps the route of Apu Salkantay, an attraction that moves with the beauty of the landscape and saves years of history in archaeological zones.
According to some authors the name of this mountain is a contraction that comes from Salqa = huraño or wild and Antay = to produce celajes or avalanches. It is usually put before the name of Apu, which in the Quechua language comes to mean lord, is defined thus the great mountains that mean something sacred above the valleys. For example Apu Salcantay in the mountain range of Vilcabamba.1
Pick up at 04:00 a.m. Our transport will take us to Soraypampa (3,900 masl / 12,795 ft.), we’ll begin our trek of approximately 4 hours climbing to the highest pass (4,650 masl / 15,255 ft.), we might enjoy the most stunning views of Salkantay (6,272 masl / 20,577 ft.) we’ll continue along the spectacular mountains and observe Humantay and Huayanay. We will also see small ponds. After a long descent, we’ll arrive at our 1st campsite in Chaullay (2,950 masl / 9,678 ft.).
Day 02: Chaullay ” La Playa”.
After breakfast, we’ll walk down to the river to the beach. On the way, we’ll enjoy a nice tropical jungle and we could see coffee trees, bananas and other fruits, including some beautiful orchids. A short stop for lunch at Lluscamayu and we’ll continue our hike to the 2nd camp.
Early in the morning after our breakfast, we will take a local transport to go to Santa Teresa, and then we’ll continue walking to “Hidroeléctrica” of Machu Picchu. Here, we’ll have two options to take the train or walk 2 hours to get to Machu Picchu where we’re gonna stay in a hotel.
Day 04: “Aguas Calientes” Machu Picchu – Cusco.
After having our breakfast at our hotel, we’ll take one of the first buses up to Machu Picchu. In the control point, we’ll present our original document and our entrance tickets to Machu Picchu. The tour usually is about 2 hours. Then, you have free time to visit and enjoy Machu Picchu. To go down, we will use the bus to “Aguas Calientes” to catch our train back to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco.
- Transportation to Soraypampa (place where the walk starts).
- Train Ticket from “Aguas Calientes” to Ollanta and bus to Cusco.
- Camping equipment and kitchen equipment includes mats, double tents, dining tents, chairs, tables kitchen store.
- First aid kit and oxygen.
- Professional guide.
- horses, muleteer.
- Tickets to Machu Picchu.
- Bus up and down to Machu Picchu.
- Hotel in “Aguas Calientes.
- Foods (3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners).
Does Not Include:
- First breakfast last lunch.
- Sleeping bag.
- Entrance to the hot springs in “Aguas Calientes”.
List of Suggestions:
- Original identity document (passport, ID).
- Rain jacket & rain poncho.
- good walking shoes (sandals).
- Sleeping (plume).
- Flashlight – batteries.
- Binoculars (optional).
- Walking stick (optional).
- Extra money.
- Small backpack & rain cover.
- Personal kit (if you have some illness).